Intensive English Program

How is Hilo, Big Island?  Is it a good place to live and study?

The Island of Hawaiʻi is beautiful, lush, and green. Hilo is a safe and quiet town which is great for studying. Enjoy the friendly and relaxing town of Hilo, Hawai’i!

My English level is really low. Can I enroll in the IEP?

Of course, you can. The IEP has 4 levels  (depending on total enrollment) and we will find the right class for you.

What is the difference between a full-time student and a part-time student?

When you come to the IEP as a full-time student, on an F1 (Student) visa, you are required to study full-time, that means at least 18 hours a week.

The IEP has 3 core classes, Writing & Grammar, Reading & Vocabulary, and, Listening & Speaking. You must take all 3 of these classes to maintain your F1 visa.

Part-time students are people who take only 1 or 2 of our classes. You can be a part-time student if you are a permanent resident (Green Card holder) or a US Citizen.

People on a tourist visa (B2) may also take classes at the IEP on a part-time basis.

What is an I-20?

An I-20 is a document issued by a college, university or a language school. The I-20 is a very important document showing that you have permission to stay in the US to study as a full-time student. You will need this I-20 to apply for your student visa.

How do I get my student visa?

Once you have submitted the application documents to the IEP and have been accepted, you will receive your acceptance packet and I-20 in the mail. The acceptance packet gives you full instructions on how to apply for your visa. Contact the US Embassy or Consulate nearest you in your home country to make an appointment for your visa interview. For more information about the visa application process and to see appointment wait times visit here.

What do I need to go to Hawai’i Community College?

You need at least 61 iBT (500 paper-based) TOEFL score to apply to Hawai’i Community College. If you finish the IEP, you do not need a TOEFL score to go to Hawaiʻi Community College.

What is a TOEFL Test?

The TOEFL, Test of English as a Foreign Language, is a test that many colleges and universities in English speaking countries require for admission for the international students.

When should I start my studies at the IEP if I want to go to Hawai’i Community College?

It depends on your English level but the average is about 3 sessions to 6 months to finish the IEP.Semesters at Hawaiʻi Community College start in January and August. So you may want to come at least 6 months before the semester begins at the college. Please click here to see the progression.

When do I pay the tuition?

You will pay for the tuition a week before the class starts during orientation. You can pay by cash, travelers’ checks, or credit card. IEP staff will help you pay for your tuition.

Can I work while I am in the US?

IEP students are not allowed to work on or off campus because the IEP is a non-credit program.If you enter Hawai`i Community College as a credit student, you are allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week.